Thursday, January 7, 2010

We Are Home!!

I have been meaning to post all week but it has been a crazy week to say the least so I still have yet to do so. This post doesn't even count because it is really to just tell you to stay tuned...I have lots to post about the trip and journal entries to share, etc.
All in all the trip was AMAZING! I am glad to be home because I missed Tessa more than life itself, but Ethiopia is an amazing country and we made some great friends along the way! I wish we had had more time to see the country but it just means that we will definitely be making a trip back with both of our kiddo's in the future.
Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes. They were definitely felt even half the world away in Africa! We stayed healthy for the most part, and everything really went as smoothly as we could have asked for.
Cullen and Tessa are adjusting well! It is mommy and daddy that seem to be having more trouble! We are finally all comming out of the fog of jetlag (ET is 8 hours ahead of the US) and Cullen is starting to sleep through the night (albeit waking up very early at between 5 and 6). I am just hoping it lasts. He is figuring things out and we are too. It is just very different than it was the first time around and I know this is the case wether the 2nd is adopted or not. I guess I was just expecting it to be so much like we have a newborn. But really that is what it feels like....we have a 9 month old newborn! He is out of sorts, we are out of sorts, the dynamic of our family (and sleep habits) is out of wack and we are all just figuring out day by day. Tessa has by far been the shining star in all of the 'adjusting.' Aside from wanting her Eeyore and binky more than usual and being a bit whiny, she is a great, loving big sister who is totally in to her brother. I am hoping this lasts and that she continues to do so well with the adjustment. Thanks to all the family and friends who have stopped by and make an extra effort to lavish her with love, attention and playtime. It really makes her feel special and not forgotten!
Okay, I promise to post on our incredible journey and to share photos as well. I just need some more free time, to finish unpacking, and to decompress a bit. For now, here are some "Tessa quotes" from my precocious 2.5 year old that my family wrote down while we were away to brighten your day!

  • Christmas AM: "I am OBSESSED with these pretzels." (yes, I am sure she got the obsession gene from mommy)
  • My father and Tessa were getting dressed for the Christmas Eve play. Papa to Tessa: "You look pretty in your red dress." Tessa to Papa (who was wearing a red tie): "Well you look boy pretty."
  • When Tess was giving them heck when they were trying to get her to go to sleep one night and my parents were talking outsider her door: "Are you trying to figure out how to get me to go to sleep?"
Thanks again for all the love and support. We wouldn't be making it through this time without it!! Promise to post again soon!!!

7 comments:

  1. Brooke,

    Brian and I are so happy for you, Jeff, Tessa and Cullen. We would love to meet Cullen and have you over one afternoon soon. I'm sure you're overwhelmed right now, but when things calm down please give Brian or I (tcoulombe80@hotmail.com) some dates so we can plan a get-together.

    Congratulations!

    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, Love the quotes from your little Tessa...too adorable for words. I'm sure being away from her was so hard...

    Soooo glad you all made it home safely and are now firmly a family of four! I'm sure things are still crazy for you - sleep, getting used to two kiddos, your family schedule, everything!

    Can't wait to hear about your trip and your journal entries - it'll give us an idea of what to expect when it's our turn.

    By chance, did you get to see the baby room in Durame and our little Isabella? I know you're super swamped - so no rush, of course - you can shoot me an email anytime at awaitingourfirst@hotmail.com.

    Congrats again...Cullen is such a handsome little man...those cheeks get me everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Home! Can't wait to see your pictures and hear details!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! He is such a cutie! No malnutrition with him I guess! LOL! Congratulations on your newly expanded family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! How wonderful you are all together as a family now! Sending you hugs as you all settle in~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your family of four! Looking forward to hearing more about your trip! We're waiting for our referral from Holt, and are looking forward to a trip to Ethiopia this year.

    Sarah
    http://trektoethiopia(dot)blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke,
    Thinking of you daily. Isn't the journey amazing? Love to you in your sleepless adjustment period.
    Emily Kendall

    ReplyDelete