Tuesday, March 2, 2010
PS Cullen and Tess are doing great! He is a crawling machine and LOVES to eat. She is a vibrant and loving big sister!
Thursday, January 7, 2010
All in all the trip was AMAZING! I am glad to be home because I missed Tessa more than life itself, but Ethiopia is an amazing country and we made some great friends along the way! I wish we had had more time to see the country but it just means that we will definitely be making a trip back with both of our kiddo's in the future.
Thanks to everyone for their prayers and well wishes. They were definitely felt even half the world away in Africa! We stayed healthy for the most part, and everything really went as smoothly as we could have asked for.
Cullen and Tessa are adjusting well! It is mommy and daddy that seem to be having more trouble! We are finally all comming out of the fog of jetlag (ET is 8 hours ahead of the US) and Cullen is starting to sleep through the night (albeit waking up very early at between 5 and 6). I am just hoping it lasts. He is figuring things out and we are too. It is just very different than it was the first time around and I know this is the case wether the 2nd is adopted or not. I guess I was just expecting it to be so much like we have a newborn. But really that is what it feels like....we have a 9 month old newborn! He is out of sorts, we are out of sorts, the dynamic of our family (and sleep habits) is out of wack and we are all just figuring out day by day. Tessa has by far been the shining star in all of the 'adjusting.' Aside from wanting her Eeyore and binky more than usual and being a bit whiny, she is a great, loving big sister who is totally in to her brother. I am hoping this lasts and that she continues to do so well with the adjustment. Thanks to all the family and friends who have stopped by and make an extra effort to lavish her with love, attention and playtime. It really makes her feel special and not forgotten!
Okay, I promise to post on our incredible journey and to share photos as well. I just need some more free time, to finish unpacking, and to decompress a bit. For now, here are some "Tessa quotes" from my precocious 2.5 year old that my family wrote down while we were away to brighten your day!
- Christmas AM: "I am OBSESSED with these pretzels." (yes, I am sure she got the obsession gene from mommy)
- My father and Tessa were getting dressed for the Christmas Eve play. Papa to Tessa: "You look pretty in your red dress." Tessa to Papa (who was wearing a red tie): "Well you look boy pretty."
- When Tess was giving them heck when they were trying to get her to go to sleep one night and my parents were talking outsider her door: "Are you trying to figure out how to get me to go to sleep?"
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Just got a call from Brooke and Jeff and they were able to get internet briefly and sent this great photo! They got to spend more time with Cullen today and kept saying how animated he is. They said he loves to mimic people and will clap hands after you clap yours and do raspberries! Brooke and Jeff also commented that he really gets excited when he sees his nannies and they get so excited when they see him! Brooke said he can also say "mom" and "dad!" They said he has beautiful skin and weighs 9.8 kilos (21 lbs)!!!
Friday, December 25, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
At about 10am we got word that they made it safely through Amsterdam and are now in Sudan for a quick refuel before they finish the last leg of their flight! Only about 2 more hours of travel for them before they arrive in Addis!
Monday, December 21, 2009
- Wed 12/23: Leave for ET in the evening.
- Thurs 12/24: Arrive in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia around 11pm. Check in to hotel which is right next door to care center (literally) where Cullen is. Sleep (I have no idea how i am going to do this with my little boy asleep right next door!!!
- Friday 12/25: Orientation in AM then will meet Cullen right after! Spend day at care center with Cullen and playing with other children
- Saturday 12/26: Spend day at care center with Cullen.
- Sunday 12/27: Leave in the AM for Durame (without Cullen), a town about 5-6 hour drive south of the capitol of Addis Ababa. This is the region where Cullen was born and where he first came into care (Holt has a care center in Duram). We will get to see the region, tour Holts intake/care center in Durame and possibly get to meet Cullen's mom.
- Monday 12/28: Leave in AM to head back to Addis. Hopefully take custody of Cullen when we get back (if not then on Tuesday)
- Tuesday 12/29: Hang out in hotel with Cullen. Appointment at US Embassy in Addis for an interview to get Cullens visa to travel home (he will travel home with an ET passport and a US visa).
- Wednesday 12/30: Fairwell ceremony at care center. Shopping trip to leper hospital, etc.
- Thursday 12/31: Hang out at hotel with Cullen and wait for visa to be issued. Fly home around midnight.
- Friday 1/1: Arrive home in Boston at 4pm!!!!
We are very excited to meet a number of families that will be traveling with us. I have gotten to know a few pretty well over email, yahoo groups, and on the phone so it will be great to share this amazing experience with them.
Can't wait to see you all when we return!!! Just over 48 hours till we leave....YIKES! I need to get some good cuddle time in with my girl the next two days....
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Just a little of our packing mess....
Adams Family Christmas gifts...
Drooger family Christmas gifts...
And still I am trying to constantly remind myself of the reason for this time of holiday celebration. The birth of Christ. A baby in a manger sent by his father. The most amazing gift...
Now all we need is a little boy asleep in the crib!