Monday, March 30, 2009

Confident and Secure

What do I want for my children? To enjoy life, have a roof over their heads, warm food in their bellies, enriching lives centered around their relationship with God, toys to play with, people to love them, a good education, FUN, rest, good friends, close family, a good job, good health, etc, etc...yes, I do want all of these things for my children but how do you parent to that long list?
So I think I read in some parenting book about disciplining along the way this whole concept. Really it talked about how when we discipline our children we want to make sure our discipline falls in line with what we really want for our children and that everything we do to parent them is aimed at the same consistent goals. In any case, when I really took the time to think about it, what I want for my daughter/children are two things, CONFIDENCE and SECURITY. I think the answer to the big list above rests in those things. If I can bring up a person who is confident and secure, they will have the tools to face whatever life throws at them. And by confident, I mean secure enough in who they are to be who they are. I feel like I was blessed with bits of both of these characteristics in my life and they have served me well. I know many who would have (and did) faltered without them. This is not to say that I have not faltered along the way either, but what has kept me afloat and really molded me into who I am today are those bits of confidence and security.
Fortunately for Jeff and I, we both know who we are and thrive in that. We don't feel pressured to be something we are not, we make friends easily, we love deeply, and don't feel the need to put on a false mask to the outside world. We are who we are, flawed AND perfect but (for the most part) okay with all of it. And so, if we can be the model of that for our children, and parent to them in that way, then I feel lucky.
What do you want for your children? Parent to that. Live like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment